SethLynch

Brian Wilson Aldiss
Hierarchy of Needs: A Theory of Human Motivation
Abraham Maslow

The Redbreast

The Redbreast - Don Bartlett, Jo Nesbo, Jo Nesbø Jo Nesbo, the man who spawned an entire industry in The Next Stieg Larrson stickers. Rather unfair – like sticking The Next Bristol City on the gates of Old Trafford. Jo Nesbo is the writer Stieg Larrson showed signs of becoming by the end of his trilogy.This book is the third in the Harry Hole series. The pervious two are not available in English yet. I don’t mind coming into a series at a this stage. Harry has history. Most of it stems from those previous two books. I never felt that I was missing something significant by starting here. What you get instead of the introductions are fully developed characters going about there work.I don’t like to go into plot details in these reviews, I don’t want to spoil anything and half-the time I can’t remember enough of the plot to comment. I prefer to comment on the feel, the idea, and maybe scenes. These are the things which stick in my mind. Characters too but if the characters are undeveloped or unbelievable I probably won’t bother finishing the book. The first thing I liked about this book was its underlying subject – Nazis. I don’t have a thing about Nazis and am more interested in World War one than the sequel. I am interested in history and the way its twisted and perverted by time. The Norwegians, like the French, pretend that they fought bravely against the Nazi occupation. There were a few traitors but they were all shot on liberation. This book makes one fact clear: a lot of Norwegians fought for the Nazis. These people felt they were as loyal to their country as any other patriot. To them the real danger was the U.S.S.R. I like Harry Hole. It’s a reasonably long book which is engaging enough to sustain itself. There’s a Wikipedia page on Hole if you want to know about his character etc. I liked him. He’s a bit of a Martin Beck on a bad day. When I finished reading it I had to resist downloading the next one straight away.