SethLynch

Hothouse
Brian Wilson Aldiss
Hierarchy of Needs: A Theory of Human Motivation
Abraham Maslow

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium Trilogy Series #2)

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium Trilogy Series #2) - This is the second of the Millennium trilogy books by Stieg Larsson. I read the first – The girl with the dragon tattoo - last year – this time I downloaded an un abridged audiobook from a library. In this book Lisbeth Salander is has cut off all contact with the books other hero – Mikael Blomqvist. Two people connected to millennium magazine are murdered and Salander is the prime suspect. Mikael works to prove her innocence. The murders are related to event in Slander’s past which she is working to resolve.In many ways this book is as badly written as the first. I was three hours into the audiobook (which is 21.5 hours in total) and was going to give up. This is despite having read the first book and already committed three hours to this one. As I was getting the bus home I listened to some more and it was then the story began to pick up. Of those first three hours only twenty minutes or so had any relevance to the plot. I might be interested to know that Salander went to IKEA to furnish her new apartment. I am really not interested to know the make and model of each item she purchased. The same holds true of her trip to the grocery store. Yet, despite paragraphs of mind numbing blandness there is a lot of fast paced action which does make this thriller thrilling. It’s a hefty book and nobody would complain if a third of it were cut out. I haven’t seen the films yet but I imagine they will be good. I will probably download the third one as an audiobook too – but not until the end of the year.